My daughters have always used cloth reusable nappies on my grand children. They have stroked the soft fluffy nappies, and stalked for the most sought after designs. I never knew there was such a thing as designer diapers as the say across the pond. But I suppose celebrities have started a trade in unique custom baby bums. No longer are nappies the plain white square of terry towelling with intricate folding techniques for when my children were babies.
As they ‘encouraged’ me to buy the babies the fancy fleecy nappies I thought that they can’t been too hard to make. So I cut round one and had a go! It was actually easier than I expected, so if you can use a sewing machine and want to design your own nappies, then have a go. After all, whats the worst that can happen, we know what goes in them when they are used.
The basic Pocket Nappy consists of three.basic layers.
- A fleece or fancy fabric outer layer
- A PUL layer (the waterproof part)
- The soft micro fleece inside (next to babies skin)
- Cut out all three layers to the basic shape – I will try to get a copy of the pattern loaded up here for you to download.
- Next you have to make the ‘pocket’ where the absorbent filler goes. I used a simple rectangle of the same micro fleece inner and drew a straight line. I stitched all around the line with a quarter-inch space from the line. Next snip up the line and into the corners of the rectangle. What you are making is the same as an insert zip or pocket.
- Turn the spare fabric through the slot you have just cut and turn to the back and topstitch around the opening as shown below.
- Next I pinned the PUL Layer and External fabric around the legs and edges ready to stitch. Make sure you do not pin in the centre of the fabric as the pins will go through the polyurethane fabric layer so the nappy will leak.
- I had bought some fold over elastic which is a bit like ordinary elastic but is prefolded like Bias binding. I carefully matched the fold of the elastic with the edges of the nappy and slightly stretched the elastic around the leg area. As I stitched I made sure I caught in both top and bottom of the fold over elastic and it encased the layers of fleece.
- That done all that was left to do was to stitch on the velcro or aplix (softer velcro) to create the fastenings.
- Voila! one unique custom nappy. I had embroidered a pirate and a customised name on the one I made but you could add frills or fancy fabrics
Go on, have a go. Wrap you baby in hand-made customised nappies and safe the environment from disposable nappies!
Finally after what as seemed like three years in the making I finished the Fairy tale quilt for my granddaughter Daisy. I was starting to feel guilty as my oldest grandchild was the only one one without a personalised quilt from Grandma! when the boys were born I made one for Logan, George and William and Aliyah got her play quilt. But Daisy was kept waiting!
I wanted to include some of the fabulous Fairy tale embroidered collages available from www.emblibrary.com I chose these four. I was planning an a few more but as each one took over 6 hours to stitch out, I soon gave up on that idea!
I wanted to use the scraps of fabric which I had at home and used a simple foundation piecing strip quilt method. this works for all weights of fabrics as the cotton backing provides stability. I made my small blocks as 6.5 inches square and marked off with a pencil of diagonal corners 1.25 inches in from the diagonal point on two sides. Then drew lines joining them up to create my own basic foundation.
I lay a scrap strip face down touching the line and stitched by usual quarter-inch seam. I then folded the scrap strip over to be face up and finger pressed the seam down. I then lay my next scrap strip over the unstitched edge of the previous strip and sew the quarter-inch seam. The second strip holds the first strip down. I repeated this until the whole block was covered but left the white central diagonal foundation uncovered. That way when I joined up four blocks into a large block, they all linked.
I included scraps of fabric from outfits and dresses I had created for Daisy over the years, and bits of fabric she would recognise from her mums vintage style apron and her brothers quilt. There is even a little bit of Uncle Craig’s Army Camo uniform in there.
I appliqued her name by first printing out the letters on the home printer. Then tracing them onto the paper side of the fabulous Bondaweb before ironing onto the back of the chosen fabric. Then cur around the shapes and that helps seal the edges of the applique. I then iron the letters into position on the quilt top and used a blanket style stitch to finish off round the letters.
Hopefully, it will be with her for many years and will remind her of all the fabrics around her. But on thing I am sure of, it will be a long time before I choose to do another quilt with this method. I was a stash buster but it seemed to take forever!
I picked up a lovely Batiks Jelly roll at the Scarborough shop while I was ‘just passing’. I know its a 130 mile round trip from where I live, but I usually have other reasons for being in the area! Honest the shop is like an Quilters fantasy land and fantastic to visit in person but not useable online.
The Jelly roll was in my stash for months while I pondered what to do with it. Inspitation struck when I saw the You Tube video by MissouriQuiltCo and just loved the simplicity of making blocks from a Jelly roll. Pop over and have a look. It was really easy and the effect gives a double pattern of diamond shapes and sort of a pin wheel effect as well. Although the trimming down of the blocks resulted in a bit of waste, I did manage to get a double bed quilt top out of it with the addition of some white sashing around the edge.
Next step is to back and quilt it. But first I have others to make.